I gave you a bit of food for thought last week. We talked about the dark side of bridal exercise addiction and I’ve walked you through creating an engagement vision board. So today I wanted to keep things quick, easy and light with some actual food — and these healthy egg muffins are just the ticket.
We’re headed into winter here in the US and that means swapping my green smoothies for breakfast dishes that are warm and comfy. When my husband whipped up a batch of these on the weekend they immediately got the tick of approval.
No matter what season you are entering these muffins are the perfect breakfast, lunch or snack to get you through the day.
Healthy Egg Muffins: Why You Want This
The Bombshell Bride cooking motto is “Cook Once, Eat Thrice”. Save time in your busy schedule by batch making meals to eat throughout the week.
Plus nothing beats healthy food that is Groom’d made and approved. Win-win!
Why You Need This
Eggs are are one of nature’s most perfect ingredients and are my go-to for breakfast at this time of year. They are a relatively inexpensive source of protein and rich in nutrients. In traditional Chinese medicine, eggs are recommended to strengthen the blood and increase energy by enhancing digestive and kidney function — exactly what a busy bride needs to get her through the festive season.
- Buy organic, pasture-raised eggs. These chickens are free to roam on fresh acres and get to nibble on fresh bugs and grass all day long. Compare this to cage-reared chickens who are often fed genetically modified corn, pumped with antibiotics and never allowed to see the light of day. $8.00 for a dozen pasture-raised eggs is a very good investment.
- About to toss out that yolk? Don’t even think about it! The yolk contains fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K and essential fatty acids. Plus fat is required for the body to assimilate the protein found in the whites.
Healthy Egg Muffins
(Recipe adapted from The Micronutrient Miracle, by Mira & Jason Calton)
Egg Mixture Ingredient
- 6 large pastured eggs
- ¼ cup organic sour cream or cottage cheese
- Pepper to taste
- Organic cayenne pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup freshly chopped or grated organic cheese
Vegetable Filling Ingredients
- 1/3 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 organic red pepper (capsicum), finely chopped
- 1/3 cup organic spinach, chopped
- 2 slices of pastured bacon
- Coconut oil, butter or ghee for muffin tin
- Preheat oven to 325ºF / 160ºC
- Grease a muffin tin with ghee, coconut oil or butter
- Heat a medium frypan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until beginning to brown. Remove bacon and set aside. Add onion, garlic and pepper, cook 5 minutes or until softened. Return bacon to pan, add spinach and toss to combine until spinach starts to wilt, about 1-2 minutes.
- Beat all Egg Mixture ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Evenly divide Vegetable Filling Mixture into six muffin moulds. Pour Egg Mixture evenly on top.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Allow to completely cool before removing from muffin tin.
Now I’d Love To Hear From You
What’s your favorite Groom’d approved breakfast recipe? Let me know in the comments below!
Jennifer Dene xoxo